Constructor: Joel Fagliano
Relative Difficulty: Medium
Word of the Day: LIMBO
In the theology of the Catholic Church, Limbo (Latin limbus, edge or boundary, referring to the "edge" of Hell) is a speculative idea about the afterlife condition of those who die in original sin without being assigned to the Hell of the Damned. Medieval theologians of western Europe described the underworld ("hell", "hades", "infernum") as divided into four distinct parts: Hell of the Damned, Purgatory, Limbo of the Fathers or Patriarchs, and Limbo of the Infants. However, Limbo of the Infants is not an official doctrine of the Catholic Church. (Wikipedia)
Hey! It's a crossword puzzle! Check it out! Let's see if it's any good...
IN BED is almost inoffensive, which is about as good as partials ever get [3D: Words sometimes added to the end of a fortune cookie fortune for humorous effect]. It's accurate, relates to a genuine cultural practice, and is as close to amusing as you can reasonably expect from a partial. I still resent it!
In contrast, I FEEL is just objectively the worst ever [7A: "____ the earth move" (Carole King hit)].
Did anybody besides me not ever hear the word CHINO until, like, last Tuesday [5A: Khaki-colored cotton]? Which is weird because khakis are more or less the only pants I ever wear. I am pretty sure it is all a vast conspiracy. i still don't really understand what CHINOS are or how to employ them in a correct grammatical formulation. All I now is people keeping asking me about them and I wish they wouldn't.
- LIMES [2D: They're green when they're ripe — Sure, fine.
- POOL [4D: Game that starts with a break] — Presumably this is also true of "billiards," but who knows?
- PTSD [8A: Returning soldier's affliction, for short] — This clue makes it sound like EVERY soldier experiences PTSD, which sounds wrong?
- LIMBO [6A: In-between state] — Great song.
- SHIFT [1D: Key below Caps Lock] — Guys, I've got a keyboard in front of me, so I can verify that this is the case.
- CLIP [5D: Bit of video] — My hair is getting a little long; I should probably bit of video it.
Signed, Jonathan Gibson, Caps Lock of CrossWorld